Many a times during paired testing sessions with my team members, I have found that there was atleast one new tool/trick to learn from them. I thought that it might be a good idea to share some of the tools and tricks I have learnt. This page is still work in progress.
Tools for taking screenshots
Snipping Tool on Windows
Jing – a really nice, intuitive screenshot tool with built in editing and it also allows you to record videos of selected areas (plus its free!).
- Firefox add-on HTML validator: Mozilla extension that adds HTML validation inside the webpage and shows the number of errors of a HTML page in the form of an icon
Web Testing tools
- Firefox + extensions
- Live HTTP Headers
- Firebug – very useful for DOM inspection, cookie manipulation, assistance in element detection, network traffic display etc.
- Adblock – Block unwanted adverts in webpages as you test.
- Browser extensions for testing software
Computer Diagnostic tools
PsTools is a set of Windows tools for process and other system information from the command line. pslist in particular has some of the features of ps although not CPU usage.
Process.exe is a windows tool which has a command line interface for command line utility to view, kill, suspend or set the priority and affinity of processes.
Download executable here
DTD or XML Schema viewer
- XSD Diagram is a free Xml Schema Definition (XSD) diagram viewer for Windows
- EditiX is a cross-platform and multi-purposes XML Editor, Visual Schema Editor and XSLT Debugger. If you have a DTD, you can convert it into a schema and then visualize it.